Brown sugar banana bread. Mmm. How good does that sound? Homemade bread is great as it is. Adding brown sugar to the top takes this breakfast bread to an amazingly delicious level. This homemade bread doesn’t have to be only served for breakfast, it can be eaten any time throughout the day.
When To Make This
Bananas are a staple item on our weekly grocery list. Normally, the bananas do not last long in my household. However, every once in a while, we end up with bananas for longer than expected and they start to get ripe. Sometimes too ripe. I hate throwing away food, especially knowing that ripe bananas are great ingredients in many recipes, especially banana bread and banana muffins. As luck would have it, one day we had a few very ripe bananas and I found a recipe for banana bread. My family loves banana bread and I hate throwing away food. Win-win. Additionally, I saved our kitchen from the dreaded fruit flies!
Which Recipe Should I Choose?
I did some researching for great tasting banana breads that were easy to make and moist. Who wants to eat dry bread? Yuck. I found a million recipes and read through the comments and looked at pictures before finding the one I was looking for. Brown sugar banana bread! Why didn’t I think of that first? If you have ever had pineapple upside down cake and know the awesome taste of the brown sugar on top (or bottom, depending on how you look at it), that was all I could think of. I had to try THIS recipe.
Brown sugar banana bread is my son’s favorite homemade bread. Heck, it is my entire family’s favorite homemade bread. However, my son would have eaten the entire loaf, if I let him. What I mean is, he would have eaten the entire loaf in 1 sitting! In this case, I think he ended up eating 85% of it over the 2 days it was in the house. Needless to say, this did not last long. We are anxiously waiting for the next time we have a few ripe bananas so we can make this recipe again…
Brown Sugar Banana Bread
- 1/2 Cup Butter Melted (I always use salted butter and omit extra salt in recipes)
- 2/3 Cup Brown Sugar Light or Dark Brown will do
- 2 Eggs
- 2 Bananas Mashed up (the riper, the better)
- 2 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1 3/4 Cup Flour
- 1 tsp Baking Soda
- 1/3 Cup Brown Sugar For the topping!
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl, whisk melted butter and 2/3 cup brown sugar until well combined.
- Add eggs, mashed bananas, and vanilla and whisk until blended in well.
- In a separate bowl, combine flour and baking soda.
- Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients.
- Stir batter well so that no streaks of flour remain.
- Grease 9×9 baking pan and add batter to pan.
- Smooth into an even layer then sprinkle the top with the remaining brown sugar.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes. The bread is done when a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Let cool.