A Ham and Cheese Calzone is the perfect finger food that you can eat for lunch, dinner, or a snack. It’s also the perfect party food! I mean, how many times have you been super excited that the host at a party was serving calzones??
A hearty appetizer that is SO tasty! Calzones, in general, are so much better than any regular sandwich. The pizza dough is the perfect bread to house warm ham and gooey cheese. A regular sandwich can’t compete with that! These sandwich-like rolls are scrumptiously delicious! The ideal sandwich everyone loves.
I’m sure if you buy dough at the supermarket, you are probably planning on making homemade pizza. And there is no problem with that! Homemade pizza is a favorite in my house. My kids could eat pizza every night, if allowed. Homemade pizza is even better because you can top it with whatever you want, the best way to eat pizza is YOUR favorite way, after all.
But back to the dough. Do you ever consider making other things with that it? A great pizza alternative is a calzone. You can put whatever you want inside of the dough and bake it until it’s golden brown and the melted cheese is ready to ooze out. One of the easiest calzones to make is a ham and cheese calzone.
- Garlic Powder
- Onion Powder
- Olive Oil
Easy To Make
If you are able to make homemade pizza and can figure out how to assemble a sandwich, you are equipped to make a ham and cheese calzone. Seriously, it’s so easy. Just spread out the dough to the length of a baking sheet. You will need to flour your hands and/or the dough so that it is pliable and doesn’t stick to your hands while you stretch it out. Add a little bit of olive oil to the baking sheet so the calzone doesn’t stick to the pan. Add the stretched out dough to the pan and start creating your masterpiece!
On one side of the dough add a piece of deli ham, then cheese. Keep repeating the pattern until you cover the length of the dough. Fold over the dough so that you cover the ham and cheese completely and press the edges together to seal the dough. Pretty easy so far, right? And you are practically done! All that is left is to brush on the melted butter on the top of the dough and season it with garlic and onion powder. Then bake. And then the hard part, waiting for it to be done!
Once the ham and cheese calzone is cooked, you do have to wait a little longer. You don’t want to cut into it too soon because the cheese will just ooze out of it. Just give the calzone 5-10 minutes before cutting into it and it will be worth your while. Once you are ready to dig in, you will be in awe at how great of a cook you truly are!
Everyone will want to devour this so make sure you plan accordingly and make enough for your tribe. And if you want leftovers, it’s probably best to make 2 or 3 ham and cheese calzones! ENJOY!
Ham and Cheese Calzones
- 1 ball Pizza Dough
- 1 tbsp Flour
- 1 lb Ham deli meat – any flavor will work!
- 3/4 lb Cheese American works best for melting
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 pat Butter Melted
- 1/2 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1/2 tsp Onion Powder
- 1/2 tsp Parsley
- Preheat oven to 450 Degrees F
Preparing the Dough
- Put olive oil on baking sheet and swirl around well to cover entire pan – best to put a ziplock bag on your hand to swirl the olive oil around.
- Next, sprinkle flour around pizza dough evenly so that you can handle the dough without it sticking to your hands.
- Stretch out the dough to form a rectangle that will cover the baking sheet.
- Once the dough has stabilized in the pan, you can begin making the calzone.
Adding the Filling
- Fold a piece of ham in half and place it at the top of the dough, on one side of the dough, leaving approx 1/2" on the side.
- Next, place the cheese slice on top of the ham about 1/2" – 1" down from the top of the ham.
- Repeat ham and cheese placement until you have covered the entire length of the dough.
- Fold over the empty dough side over the ham/cheese side and press the edges together so they are sealed around the entire calzone.
- Brush melted butter on top of calzone.
- Sprinkle parsley, onion powder, and garlic powder on top of the calzone.
- Bake in preheated oven for 12-15 minutes or until golden brown.
- Once cooked, remove from oven and let cool for 5-10 minutes. Calzone will be extremely hot.