Lemon blueberry french toast bake is the perfect choice for brunch, holiday breakfast, or any time. This french toast bake is easy to make and tastes great. You can prepare this dish the night before which is a great for when you wake up starving and want to eat quickly!
Easter of 2019, I was hosting a brunch at my house to celebrate the holiday. I have hosted holidays in the past and enjoy cooking holiday meals, but I had never hosted a brunch. Eek! What was I going to make? Eggs? Pancakes? I figured you couldn’t go wrong with those dishes, but it didn’t seem holiday cuisine.
I wanted to serve delicious dishes that were a little out of the ordinary, but relatively easy to make. While reading through numerous recipes that focused on brunch dishes, I came across one that sounded really good. Lemon blueberry french toast bake. Mmm, mmm! Not only did this dish make my mouth water, it looked pretty easy to make. However, would this be as easy as I thought?
Easy To Make
Yes, this is an easy brunch to make! There isn’t much cooking involved, it mostly needs preparation. And the prep work for this dish is pretty straightforward. Cut up the Hawaiian rolls into cubes. Then alternating layers of bread and blueberries, and ending with bread on top. Next you whisk together the wet ingredients of eggs, milk, vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg, maple syrup, and lemon zest. Once mixed well, you pour the mixture over the bread/blueberry casserole. Cover tightly and refrigerate for 2 hours or overnight. Prepping it the night before gives you the luxury of sleeping in and just popping the pan in the oven in the morning. And then you can drink your coffee while sitting back and waiting for that yummy – goodness to be ready!
The lemon blueberry french toast bake was a hit at my house on Easter! Everyone loved it. And depending on your love of lemons, you could always add more or less. In my house, we really enjoy the sour lemony taste with the sweet blueberries, such a great combination.
In conclusion, this is a kid and adult friendly. I have made this dish for breakfast on regular weekend mornings and it always goes quickly!
Lemon Blueberry French Toast Bake
Lemon Blueberry French Toast
- 1 pkg Kings Hawaiian Sweet Rolls 12ct package
- 1 cup Blueberries
- 1.5 cups Milk
- 3 lg Eggs
- 2 tbsp Maple Syrup
- 1 lemon Zest
- 1.5 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1 tsp Cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp Nutmeg
- 1/4 cup Flour
- 1/4 cup Brown Sugar
- 1/2 tsp Cinnamon
- 1/4 cup Butter Cut into small cubes
- 2 tbsp Confectioners Sugar
Lemon Blueberry French Toast
- Spray a 9×13 pan with nonstick spray.
- Cut hawaiian rolls into small cubes.
- Place a layer of bread cubes evenly into the pan.
- Top with blueberries in an even layer.
- Repeat layering bread cubes and blueberries 2 more times and end with a layer of bread on top.
- In a large bowl, whisk together milk, eggs, maple syrup, lemon zest, vanilla, cinnamon and nutmeg.
- Pour mixture evenly over the bread cubes.
- Cover and place in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a small bowl, combine flour, sugar and cinnamon.
- Using your fingers, work the butter into the dry ingredients until it resembles coarse crumbs.
- Sprinkle the crumb topping evenly over the bread cubes.
- Bake for 35-45 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Serve immediately, sprinkled with confectioners’ sugar, if desired.